WHAT IS A JESSNER PEEL?
A Jessner peel is a medium depth peel that works to improve skin health by helping to remove and heal skin damage. A Jessner is a layered peel that gives the practitioner a lot of control in regulating how much peeling the client will experience. It combines lactic acid, salicylic acid and resorcinol to exfoliate the skin and penetrate deeper into the skin’s layers to ensure a rejuvenating and healing effect on the skin while it peels.
These ingredients work together to exfoliate the outer layers of skin by breaking up dead skin cells. This treatment encourages the natural peeling to start several days after the chemical treatment. In the office, your skin is thoroughly cleansed and then the peel chemicals are applied. As a general rule, 2-5 coats are applied for the best possible results. Typically, a lightweight moisturizer or a calming mask is applied to the skin at the end of the treatment and you can go about the rest of your day.
If necessary, the Jessner peel can be repeated every four weeks until the desired results are achieved; however, for most patients, only one treatment is required.
WHAT TO EXPECT
First, you will experience dry, tight skin with slight redness. Your skin may also be overly sensitive. It will peel for about a week after the treatment and you can expect your skin to turn from a pink shade to a shade of brown. When the old, damaged skin has all peeled away, you will be left with more refreshed, glowing skin.
Keep in mind that the deeper the Jessner peel penetrates your skin, the longer the recovery time will be, and the more you become at risk of experiencing potential side effects.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- The peel helps to smooth out various fine lines and wrinkles
- It may reduce the appearance of acne scarring
- It can reduce the of appearance of large pores
- May improve the overall complexion of the face
- In some cases may lighten areas of skin discoloration
- Can help reduce acne, dermatitis,
- Assists with treatment of melasma
- Restores skin to a more healthy, youthful glow
- Can act as a customized treatment for more extensive skin damage
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE?
Good candidates for Jessner are clients with:
- Premature aging
- Acne and mild acne scarring
- Large pores
- Photo-damaged skin
- Pigment irregularities
- Seborreic dermatitis
It is not recommended for clients with
- Active cold sores (make sure to avoid areas prone to cold sores)
- Pregnancy or nursing
- Chronic skin disorders
- Compromised lipid barrier
- Fitzpatrick 4-6 at risk for pigmentation
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Book a consult with Dr van der Vyver to discuss suitability, options, expectations & cost.