Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in Olds, Alberta and there are several treatments available for the various severities of it. There is no reason you have to let your acne breakouts run their course. The most important reasons to treat acne are to control breakouts, avoid scarring, and make any scars that have already developed less noticeable. Our skin specialist will diagnose your acne and help you find the best acne treatment for your skin type and the kind of acne you have.
Types of Acne
• Mild acne is blackheads and whiteheads and a few pustules and papules. These appear on the superficial levels of the skin. Whiteheads are hair follicles that have pus but are not open to the air. Blackheads are the same only they are open to the air. These rarely leave scars.
• Moderate acne involves widespread papules, pustules, whiteheads, and blackheads.
• Severe acne involves many large pustules and papules as well as nodules or cysts that are in the deeper layers of skin. These are the most prone to leaving scars.
Acne Treatment Options
Acne treatment options in Olds, Alberta include topical creams and gels as well as oral medications and cosmetic therapies.
• Topical medications may be prescription medication and often contain retinoids. Retinoids prevent the hair follicles from becoming clogged with oil, dead skin cells and bacteria. Topical antibiotics may also be prescribed and can be used along with retinoids.
• Oral medications – oral antibiotics are commonly prescribed to address a wide variety of acne-related problems.
• Cosmetic therapies – these may include laser treatments to reduce redness and prevent scarring, chemical peels to remove the superficial layers of skin, extraction of blackheads and whiteheads and steroid injections for severe cysts.
To remove the dead skin cells and reduce the natural bacteria that are on your face, back, chest or shoulders, we recommend that you wash twice a day and after sweating. You should use a gentle, non-abrasive face wash and only rub with your fingers. Washcloths and other things may be too abrasive.
For more information on acne treatment, we warmly invite you to reach out and make an appointment with DermaNuva Skin & Health Care! At our convenient location in Olds, Alberta, our devoted and knowledgeable staff will be happy to explain your full range of options and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to set up your consultation!